Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 13, 2011

UPDATE

So I met with the American Cancer Institute yesterday in Ormand. I have 4 new doctors that will be performing gene therapy at the end of the month. I have upgraded to a stage 4, BOO. But the doctors were optimistic that I was still working and functioning well. Other than the speech getting messed up every now and then and walking into walls and such. They want me to get better control of neuropathy and Raynard's so it is easier to gage how I am doing after the treatment. So they have uped my neurontin, yeah more craziness from me! Good drug for pain but hell on your cognitive ability. I am still allowed to work. I went several cognitive and physical test so they could gage my range of motion and cognitive ability. Needless to say it was a long visit that ended with some pain but they were nice enough to give me Demerol before I left. However the shot took effect much faster than we had anticipated and I had to call Shane to keep me awake for the last 10 mins of the drive home. Basically they have no real good answers as to how the therapy will affect me because no one has been treated for a stage 3 or 4 astrocytoma brain tumor. If the injections work, and the tumors do shrink or turn begin then I could experience a array of problems.The tumors are in too many different spots so I could have speech problems reflex problems,cognitive problems. We just don't know. The good news is that as long as there is some sign of improvement in the next 3 months they will continue with the treatment. If not than the hard decision of what to do next comes up because this it people. Either this works or treatment stops. So 50/50 news once again with alot riding on the next 3 months. Expected date for surgery is the 26,27th. MRI on Mon the 24th to see if the seeds are gone as soon as we have confirmation of that the gene therapy will be manufactured in enough quantity to inject all 10 tumors and when they say come, I go no matter what I am doing. I will keep you all posted. Love you, thank you for all that you do for me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry I haven't posted but I am reading and following! You are the strongest person I know so I know you will kick cancers ass!
    Love you!
    Sueann

    ReplyDelete